Friday, April 24, 2020

Novel Series Timeline Updates So Far


  • Circa 1980: While playing role-playing games with my friends, I came up with a character who was a cleric named Nikodemos.
  • Circa 2000: Ideas started formulating in my head about a dark elf monk named Vhaidra, creating her armour and backstory both online and offline in a variety of games. Vhaidra, a Norse name that roughly means "Deep Lover" is fitting for a drow who loves the deep underground world of the underworld enough to become a monk there as a youth. 
  • Circa 2014: I started writing my ideas into a short story. The characters spoke to me and the story kept getting bigger. It ended up becoming a novel with a cast of 5-6 main characters.
  • Circa 2015: I share my novel with some friends, who all push me to get it published.
  • Circa 2016: Instigated by friends, I reach out to a famous fantasy publisher brand who says that while they love the idea, they are getting out of the business of publishing fantasy novels and recommends that I submit to other publishing houses.
  • Circa 2017: Received a first and second offer to publish my novel.
  • Circa 2018: Had discussions with a 3rd publisher.
  • Circa 2019: I start formulating sequels and prequels  to my novel.
  • Circa February 2020: The publisher who I will, in the end, choose to publish my novel, starts pushing hard to publish my book, having first reached out to me in 2017.
  • Circa March 2020: A 4th publisher offers to publish my novel as I am furloughed from my job due to the COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus.
  • 4/12/2020: I receive ISBNs and LCCNs for both my paperback and ebook versions of my first novel.
  • 4/15/2020: I had a 5th, 6th, & 7th publisher interested in my book. With more than 5 offers, I started considering who I wanted to publish with.
  • 4/17/2020: I finally decide on a publisher and sign a contract.
  • 4/18/2020: I send the manuscript to the publisher that I selected.
  • 4/20/2020: My publisher assigned the beta reader, line editor, copyeditor, proofreader, and book manager to my novel.
  • 4/21/2020: My cover artist, Stan Saint Yak of Moscow, Russia, began preliminary sketches
  • 4/23/2020: Initial sketches sent to me for approval
  • 4/24/2020: Publisher began the beta reading which will be followed by the first of three different types of editing (line-editing, copy-editing, proofreading) that will be applied to my novel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment